- A razor: obviously you can agree to disagree with me on this one but the absolute best razor I have ever used, and I have used everything from straight razors, 1 blade, 2 blade, 3 blade, 4 blade 5 blade, and all kinds of electric (Braun, Remington, Norelco, etc) is the Gillette Mach 3 Razor. Reasoning: One blade is not enough, 5 is overkill and electrics never cut close enough. Never. This is based on 35 years of real life experiments. Trust me. Plus you don’t need the vibrating heads or the extra lights and do dads. And – its cheap. One of these bad boys will run you about $7, and the blades do go on sale. I’ve seen some people re-edge their blades but I figure that this is my face, i don’t want it all cut up.
- A good shave cream - The absolute best shave cream I have ever used is Cremo Cream The Astonishingly Superior Shave Cream this stuff is the best – and I have used a lot of shaving cream – yes including soap in a cup, dish, bowl with a brush, foam, gel, you name it. The Cremo is the thickest and really sticks to your beard, unlike all of the others.
- A good DAILY face wash – Cremo has a good one here too, but my favorite is the Neutrogena Men Razor Defense Face Scrub, 4.2 Ounce. Has to be a daily face wash otherwise you’ll get too dry. Look for the white tube.
- A cup or mug. Can use any old cup or mug. I have my dads original Old Spice shaving mug that he used all of his life.
- A hand held mirror. Or if you are one of those lucky people who have a mirror in their shower that doesn’t fog – you must be a liar since they all do. Anyways, this has tipped you on to the directions…
- Run the hot water in the shower
- Fill up the cup with hot water
- Rinse your face
- Use the face scrub on your face. Rinse.
- Slather the Cremo on your beard. Not too much.
- Pause between each stroke or two to swish the Cremo and whiskers off in the cup so that they don’t get all over the tub
- When your done, swish the blade off again. Dump the cup near the drain.
- Rinse off your face. Check for missing bits. Hit those and you are done.
Let me know what you think. Like I said – this recipe is based on 35 years of experience. I’m made it my mission to get the perfect shave, and I think I’ve finally found it – and the stuff you need to get it done.
BTW, before you say: Chris, you are full of it. A straight razor is the best. I agree, to a point. If you have the time and inclination to learn how to do it properly, and the time to shave with it – contrary to what you see on YouTube it takes time to use a straight razor. One of the cool things about the Mach 3 is that the multiple blades really do save time.
Anyways, let me know what you think in the comments below…